Is the HTTP connector enabled?  Is the Host element in server.xml correct?
Are you accessing Tomcat from the same machine where Tomcat is running, or
from a different machine?

netstat is the correct command.  I wouldn't say the output is
"confused"...it's the standard command that everyone uses.  If you want to
know more about netstat, then type "man netstat" at a command line and check
the man pages for command line options that will organize the output in a
way that makes sense to you.

John