neal wrote:

> Thanks but this is actually specific to tomcat 3.  The configuration for
> Tomcat 4 is a bit different.  :(
>
> Some good overall SSL info though. I'll pass this to the SysAdmin to see if
> this tips him off to anything.
>
> Thanks.
> Neal

Hi Neal,

I'm using 4.0.4b3 with SSL working fine. Other than setting up web.xml
(below), the only issues were
(i) downloading JSSE and installing it as a standard extension (ie in
the /lib/ext directory under Java's home.
(ii) generating a self-signed cert with keytool (I don't have a Thawte cert)

I did try to upgrade to 4.1.10, but I couldn't get the Coyote connector
to work for me, so I've stayed with 4.0.4.

Do you get any errors logged when you try using https ? Set debug to 9
and see what you get.

Hope this helps - SSL DOES work - really!

Martin

---- extract from web.xml ---

<!-- Define an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 443 -->
port="443"
minProcessors="5"
maxProcessors="75"
enableLookups="true"
redirectPort="80"
acceptCount="10"
debug="0"
scheme="https"
secure="true">
<Factory className="org.apache.catalina.net.SSLServerSocketFactory"
clientAuth="false"
keystoreFile="/Users/martin/.keystore"
keystorePass="mypassword"
protocol="TLS"