In the config you posted you didn't have RemoveAbandoned configured, by
default is is set to false.  You also didn't set the maxActive, by default
I believe it is unlimited.  An example of your code which uses the
JNDI named datasource would also be helpfull in debugging these type
of problems.

Regards,

Glenn