You are on the right track with naming the file .shtml.  Since you have
not told me what your configuration is, it is hard to give you a
definitive answer.

Are you using Tomcat as a stand-alone web server or are you using an
Apache/Tomcat mix?  Which versions of each would also help.

Let's assume that you are using Tomcat 4.1.12 as a stand alone web server
and have correctly renamed the jars and uncommented the correct section/s
in conf/web.xml.

If the container servlet is being loaded but the contents of .shtml files
are being displayed instead of rendered then check in the conf/web.xml
file and make sure the following is uncommented;

    <!-- The mapping for the SSI servlet -->
<!--
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>ssi</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.shtml</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
-->

If that's not it then I'm running out of answers.

rls

John Walstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
09/25/2002 08:09 PM
Please respond to "Tomcat Users List"