Bill Barker wrote:
> "Mona Wong-Barnum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
>>Sorry, I'm a moron, I commented out the wrong section in web.xml for the
>>vulnerability (:
>>
>>All is well, 4.0.5 is now working for me.
>>
>>With 4.0.5, does it matter if the section in web.xml about the invoker
>>is commented out or not?
>

> Disabling the Invoker provides extra security against similar exploits
> (although those would involve your classes, not Tomcat's [which are
> checked]).  Of course, if you are using URLs of the form
> <http://myserver/myapp/servlet/MyServlet>,  then you need the Invoker.  In
> this case, you need to enable the Invoker, and make certain that none of
> your classes (not restricted to servlets) reveal information if invoked by
> http://myserver/myapp/servlet/edu.ucsd.mypackage.myclass.

Yes, the idea is that if you have a /foo/* URL mapping handled by a
servlet, and a security constraint mapped to it, then you might have
used /servlet/<servlet_class>/* to get around the security constraint.
Of course, that's a rare case, but that's why the invoker is now
disabled by default.

Also, you can enable the invoker servlet in a particular webapp without
enabling it in all webapps. See the examples webapp web.xml for the
mapping to use.

Remy