are you seeing the same behavior in 4.1.10?  or is it just 4.1.12?

I've performed some moderate load testing with 4.1.10 and in two cases
where memory consumption went up, it was my own code that caused it.
Once I profiled my webapp and looked at gc, it was obvious the culprit
was my code.

you can run tomcat with the following options to see in greater detail
what is happening.

JAVA_OPTS='-verbosegc'
JAVA_OPTS='-Xloggc:/temp/log.log'

peter lin