This sounds like the bug I fixed in Tomcat 4.1.x where infrequently I saw
a POST request put Tomcat into an infinite loop.  We run Apache and Tomcat
on different servers.  I had noticed the increased CPU usage on the Tomcat
server but hadn't noticed the increased CPU usage on the Apache server.
I went back and reviewed our system load history and verified that when
this bug is triggered both Apache and Tomcat cause increased CPU usage.

This bug was fixed in the Tomcat 4.1.x branch and I ported it back to
the Tomcat 4.0.x branch.  This bug fix should be in the Tomcat 4.0.5
release.

Regards,

Glenn