I have a setup with 2 APache servers (1.3.27 on Redhat 7.3) talking to 4
tomcats clustered across two SOlaris 8 boxes running Tomcat 4.0.5. We
have a load balancer across the web servers and, of course, mod_jk 1.2.0
doing the load balancing across the Tomcats.

We have a QA environment where I want the abilty to reload the apps
through the manager application. We cannot do it through the Apache load
balancer because you cannot quarantee what Tomcat you are going to talk
to at any given request.

I thought of having Tomcat use its embedded web server on 8080 and 8081
on each Tomcat server and have the developers call those for reloading,
but they would have to do that 4 times for every reload. Plus, if we
scale to a bigger cluster, the problem becomes worse.

I do have a script that stops and restarts all of the tomcats from a
central location, but is there any danger to be restarting Tomcat
frequently? Has anyone worked around a cluster for the management app?

Thanks,

Ben

--
Ben Ricker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>