this had the expected effect: I used the return value later
and got a null pointer exception.  Perhaps the next thing to
try is to ask builder in jdom.jar to do something simple instead of
building from fs... and if that works....?

I'll let you know how that goes. If you have any other ideas,
please let me know. I definitely appreciate it!

<mailto:tomcat-user-help@;jakarta.apache.org>