Euh...Can you post your catalina.policy file? Maybe another permissions is conflicting with the one you try to define. I'm doing some tests here without any problems...

-- Jeanfrancois

Andrew Cheng wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that a guy on the project decided
to be clever and he put the application in a directory next
to (not inside) webapps.

So inside ${catalina.home} there is myApplication and there is
webapps.

Inside myApplication is a bunch of servlets inside their own
directories.

The servlet I want to grant permission to is myServlet.

Are you saying to do this?
grant codeBase "file:${catalina.home}/myApplication/myServlet/-" {
permission java.net.SocketPermission "the.third.machine:8080", "accept,
connect,listen, resolve";
};

I have done it and it still gets a socket permission exception.