I recently added a new context to server.xml so that I can set up a database
connection pool resource for my webapp.

The webapp was deploying/running well prior to adding this context.

With the context added, starting Tomcat produces an error for that app context:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/myapp does not exist or is not a readable directory
at org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.jav a:193)

This suggests that docBase directory is expected to exist at start. Without that context in server.xml, the war unpacks and
creates its directory.

The context looks like this:

<Context path="/myapp" docBase="myapp"
reloadable="true" crossContext="true>
... resources here ...
</Context>

If I change the docBase to "myapp.war", the application loads and runs properly, db conn pooling works a treat, BUT
the war isn't unpacked at all.

The behavior I want is to have the war get unpacked ( as it was before ) so that I can serve some of the static content
directly from Apache httpd, but still package/deliver/deploy the webapp as a war to Tomcat.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening / how to solve?

Thanks.

- Ken