From: Justin Ruthenbeck [mailto:justinr@;nextengine.com]
Sent: October 29, 2002 5:20 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Force One page to not use SSL

Jeff --

This may be a bit simple minded since I don't understand your entire
situation there, but it doesn't sound like you're interested in protecting
these JARs in the first place (hence you don't need HTTPS for them).  Why,
then, do you even need to make sure the user is authenticated (ie *has* a
session) in the first place?  Why not just serve them up to anyone who
requests them?

If you need the user to be in a session, you can approximate (which
implies, of course, a less-than-elegant solution) the session by
duplicating some of what Tomcat does to handle sessions.  Namely, give your
own token/cookie to the user and also into your context at HTTPS session
start time ... keep your list synched with Tomcat's by removing the tokens
whenever sessions are invalidated.  When deciding whether to serve up the
JARs, use this to determine whether the user is
authenticated.  Duplication, yes, but it's *a* solution.

I'd be interested to hear what you end up doing...

justin