Hi all,

This email is a little bit off topic, as it's more about JDBC-related stuff than
tomcat.

I'm really looking for comments on the approach for JDBC connection pooling described
in the article at :
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-threads3.html

In (very) short:  the idea here is to have one jdbc-connection for each thread,
instead of a pool with connections.

I've got few ideas on the subject, for example this may be cool because :

 1. I will never have to worrie about not returning connections anymore, as they will
always be garbage collected as soon as the thread is dead.
 2. The connection will be available for more than one request so I can lazy load
resultsets.
 3. This might make transaction-service implementation easyer
 4. many other great things....

I realise there must be some kind of problems by doing it this way, but I only came up
with these :

 1. can this approach cause too many connections to the database (75 threads in Tomcat
is the default means 75 connections) ?
 2. can it be to heavy for the garbagecollector to collect all the dead connections
lying around when a thread dies ?
 3. anything more negative stuff ?

I am looking for comments on the pattern.. Please respons if you have any.
Thanx alot!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]