I need help with the jakarta-tomcat 1.4.1 and j2sdk1.4.0 which is installed in windows
2000 Professional in an IBM laptop with an intel celeron processor with 466Mhz speed.

Both in the user variables for default and the system variables. I use this to declare
my variables:

CATALINA_HOME C:\tomcat
JAVA_HOME C:\j2sdk
CLASSPATH
.;C:\j2sdk\bin;C:\j2sdk\jre\lib\ext\mm.mysql-2.0.14-bin.jar;C:\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\tomcat\common\lib\servlet.jar;c:\tomcat\common\lib\tools.jar;

I use the command prompt to startup my tomcat and this happens:

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-1999.

C:\>cd tomcat

C:\TOMCAT>cd bin

C:\TOMCAT\BIN>startup
The CATALINA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program

C:\TOMCAT\BIN>

Another problem is when I compile a servlet in jdk this happens, it seems that the
servlet jar file is not being recognized anywhere.

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-1999.

C:\>cd j2sdk

C:\J2SDK>cd bin

C:\J2SDK\BIN>javac -classpath c:\j2sdk\bin;%CLASSPATH% Cam.java
Cam.java:1: package javax.servlet does not exist
import javax.servlet.*;
^
Cam.java:2: package javax.servlet.http does not exist
import javax.servlet.http.*;
^
Cam.java:7: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServlet
location: class Cam
public class Cam extends HttpServlet
                         ^
Cam.java:10: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ServletConfig
location: class Cam
    public void init(ServletConfig config) throws ServletException
                     ^
Cam.java:10: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ServletException
location: class Cam
    public void init(ServletConfig config) throws ServletException
                                                  ^
Cam.java:88: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletRequest
location: class Cam
    public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
                      ^
Cam.java:88: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletResponse
location: class Cam
    public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
                                              ^
Cam.java:101: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletRequest
location: class Cam
    public synchronized void doPost(HttpServletRequest req,
                                    ^
Cam.java:102: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletResponse
location: class Cam
                                    HttpServletResponse resp)
                                    ^
Cam.java:13: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable super
location: class Cam
        super.init(config);
        ^
Cam.java:20: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ServletException
location: class Cam
        { throw new ServletException(e.toString()); }
                    ^
Cam.java:136: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ServletInputStream
location: class Cam
        ServletInputStream instream = null;
        ^
Cam.java:141: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : variable HttpUtils
location: class Cam
            postData = HttpUtils.parsePostData(
                       ^
13 errors

C:\J2SDK\BIN>

If anyone out there has the answer to these problems give me back a response, I would
really appreciate it.

Stanley Michaud