At this point, my only recommendation would be to upgrade the kernel to the
current RedHat 7.2 patch release of 2.4.18-7.x There have been a ton of
things fixed in 9 kernel releases and this could be related to one of them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Watler [mailto:rwatler@;finali.com]
Sent: 11 November, 2002 10:34 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Rare request delay of 100 seconds

Jeff,

Thanks for the response. I did want to clarify... we are seeing very rare
requests that are delayed by 100 seconds, (not 100ms). Anything measured in
seconds seems to be very slow for protocol issues like these, no?

Randy Watler
Finali Corporation

Jeff Tulley wrote:

> Could it simply be the Nagle problem?  There are two algorithms commonly
used with TCP/IP, trying to make things more efficient, delayed ack, and
Nagle's algorithm.  Unfortunately they don't work well together.  You can
turn off Nagle's algorithm, but that could cause a lot of "tinygrams" on the
wire.  Same thing with delayed acks (there the "tinygram" is the extra
acks).  I don't know if RedHat has implemented a fix for the problem, but
there are a few proposed fixes, one of them called the "Doupnik" algorithm.

> I'm not sure if this would be your problem, but it sure sounds like it.
Anytime that I've seen somebodies requests coming in at such a regular
interval (200 ms is typical, but 100 ms is common also), it has almost
always turned out to be this problem.