On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Manoj Kithany wrote:

> Hi Experts:
>
> My Apache+SSL is working now - thanks to you all. I checked it using
> https://www.kithany.com.
>
> However, I have a small Application which contains JSP+Servlets
> which calls Oracle DB via JDBC. This application is working fine
> when I type http://www.kithany.com:8080/kithany/index.jsp but when I
> try HTTPS as https://www.kithany.com:8080/kithany/index.jsp it
> does'nt work - ie page does'nt shows up.

If you're using the default ports that are set in Tomcat's "out of the
box" server.xml, 8080 is the port Tomcat standalone uses for direct
http communication.  This means that it's not going through Apache,
and it's not for https/SSL communication.  That explains why the first
one works and the second one doesn't.

> I know that HTTPS listens to port 443 and my
> Application(Tomcat+JBoss) listens to port 8080 - so how do I
> integrate both the ports to work together? Any useful information on
> above is appreciated.

Well, do you want to use Tomcat integrated with Apache, or Tomcat
standalone (or both)?  If you don't want to use Tomcat standalone, I
suggest you disable it's HTTP Connector -- you can do this by
commenting it out in server.xml.

Now, assuming you set up Apache+SSL for a reason, you probably want to
use that for your https communication.  That means the URL you should
use is:

https://www.kithany.com/kithany/index.jsp

This will go through Apache (on port 443, the default for https).  But
for this to work, that is, to get to Tomcat, you have to make sure you
have the proper configuration set up, mostly in terms of the connector
directives in your Apache httpd.conf file.  (You don't say what
connector you're using, perhaps it's mod_jk.)

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]