Thanks to all for sharing your insights and nice opinions!

I read through running.txt. the original purpose of introducing catalina_base to help
with multiple instances might be to meet the needs of different applications. I guess
different conf’s, logs and webapps directories are required.

If you need to test on different jdk versions, the catalina.bat/startup.bat would be
getting different system values. Then you need two "solid" instances, i.e. two
installations

Does it make sense?

chasee

Christopher Moon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:I use multiple Tomcat instances...one
for production, testing, development
and training. I have decided to get with multiple instances for testing
and development it is nice to be able to test different versions of the
JDK, which to the best of my knowledge you cannot set in the server.xml
and it must be set via the $JAVA_HOME enviroment variable. Please let me
know if this is incorrect because it would be great to not have to keep
multiple instances. However, there is one other concern that made up go
with multiple instances. Suppose, you make a change to the server
configuration that requires you to restart the instance. If you are
running one instance with multiple server.xml's and restart the testing
instance you will also restart the production instance. Again if I am
wrong please let me know.

Hope this helps
Chris