Let's get the terminology correct.

We currently run Tomcat for 2 dozen clients.  Each client has their "own"
Tomcat.  There is only one bin directory (/usr/local/tomcat/bin).  There are
multiple server.xml files, multiple work directories, and multiple webapp
roots. One server.xml, one work directory, and one webapp root per client.

With this configuration, I can stop and start individual "instances" (or
whatever word you want to use) of Tomcat at will, without affecting any of
the others.  All "instances" of Tomcat use the same JVM/JAVA_HOME.

Each server.xml = one instance

Each instance is manageable by itself without bothering other instances.

John