A key problem to using a single Tomcat instance with multiple web
applications is that a problem with Tomcat or a problem with one single web
app effects all the others.  In a shared server environment (application
service provider, for example) you would be better off having multiple
instances of Tomcat so that you can manage each instance separately without
effecting the others.

John