On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Nicholas Orr wrote:

> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:13:35 +1000
> From: Nicholas Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: how many tomcat in a machine?
>
> Just on this point of multiple Tomcat Instances, how does the JVM fit into
> all of this.
> ie does Tomcat1 use JVM1 and Tomcat2 use JVM2. Or does Tomcat1 & Tomcat2 use
> JVM1?
>
> Also if you had one Tomcat Instances and 3 apps would they all share the one
> instance of Log4j and its static methods or would there be three instances
> of Log4j??

When people talk about running mulitple Tomcat instances, they are talking
about multiple JVMs, not one.  Out of the box, Tomcat doesn't support
multiple "instances" within a single JVM.

Within a single JVM, whether things like LogJ are shared or not depends on
where the classes are loaded from -- if they're inside the /WEB-INF/lib
directories, each webapp will have their own; if they are loaded from some
place like the common/lib directory, the classes will be shared.  Howver,
I understand that Log4J still supports per-webapp configuration of loggers
in the shared case if you want it.  See the Log4J docs for more info.

For more background on class loading in Tomcat, see:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

> Nicholas Orr

Craig