On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Jim Cobban wrote:

> I cannot get Tomcat to accept tag classes where the setter method is
> implemented in a base class.  I have to put the setter method into every
> derived class, which sort of defeats the point.  However now I have run into
> a situation where even that does not work.

This works for me all the time -- for example, nearly all of the Struts
HTML tags are implemented with some attribute setters in base classes of
the actual tag subclasses.

The most likely explanation for your problem is that your classes probably
violate one of the JavaBeans design patterns, which are required for JSP
to recognize your tag handler's properties successfully.  The most likely
problems:

* The setMaxRows() method in the base class isn't public.

* Your public setMaxRows() method doesn't take exactly one parameter.

* You have more than one public setMaxRows() method (with a different
  parameter type)

The solution to your problem is most likely in the way you have
setMaxRows() defined in your base class -- but, since you didn't quote
that, there's no way to know for sure what is going on.

Craig