I am looking at the article you suggested. While I am trying to digest it
all.. am I right in thinking you are proposing and what the article is
demonstrating is that I use the SAX approach to parse my XML (although SAX
'is not a parser'!) and not the Xerces parser?

Thanks

Paul.

You're fine so far.

The location of the xercesImpl.jar is fine for all jsp's that reside in
your ROOT webapp ie: everything that lives in the root of your Tomcat
installation.

To parse the xml you'd ordinarily be trying to use a Servlet or a Bean
to get the processing off the JSP page which should be used only for
presentation of the finished results (as much as possible, best of all
poss worlds etc).

http://www2.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=JSP-XML2

This article should point you in the right direction.