do not put xerces.jar in WEB-INF/lib. It will not work there since it is
already in /common/lib. Tomcat comes with Xerces already, so unless you need
functionality not contained in the provided xerces.jar, you don't have to do
anything. if you need a newer version, replace the one in /common/lib.

Charlie