I found a previous thread with the same problem. Does anyone know if there is a solution? Or do i have to go back to using 4.0.x?

Here is the link
http://www.faqchest.com/prgm/tomcat-l/tmct-02/tmct-0208/tmct-020881/tmct02082707_10981.html

Eugene Gluzberg wrote:
Was ... Re: problem with Classloader and symbolic links in 4.1.12

ok, i installed ant and am now putting classes in the right places.

However, it seems that images and plain html files wont load through symbolic links either. There must be a setting somewhere for this!

Jon Eaves wrote:

> it would make my life so much easier since I am trying to develop an app
> with thousands of classes and hundreds of packages, modifying my build
> system to send all the classes to the tomcat dir would be a hassle.

The simplest way is to setup the context so that it points to your
development environment.

There is plenty of great examples of exactly how to do this here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/index.html

** Which everybody who is developing web applications really should
read. **

The context element should end up looking something like this: