" Cannot allocate servlet instance for path /examples/servlet/MyServlet " means that it can't find the requested servlet for that web app which implies that your servlet class isn't where it should be. Servlets & classes go in /examples/WEB-INF/classes or
/examples/WEB-INF/lib for jar packages.

Sarah L. Moore wrote:

Hello all.

I am new to Tomcat, and am having a problem with RMI. I have a Java application that basically just sits on my server waiting for a data vector to be passed to it from my servlet. However, when I run the servlet and try to have it pass the data to the application through RMI, I get:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot allocate servlet instance for path /examples/servlet/MyServlet
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: MyApplicationStarter

The application resides in a directory on the root of the c drive (i.e. c:\MyApplication), and the servlet I am working with is in catalina_home/webapps/examples. Could it be that my problem is due to the fact that Tomcat can't locate the classes that are in the c:\MyApplication directory? How can I remidy that problem, if that is, in fact, the problem.

I am running Tomcat 4 with jdk 1.3.1 on Win2K.

Please let me know if you need any more information. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sarah