Brian Dixon writes:
I have recently installed Tomcat 3.3.1 along with Apache. The two are
working well together, and I have no complaints except that my Apache
pages all have the xxx.mydomain.org/ structure while my Tomcat pages are
isolated and appear under the xxx.mydomain.org:8080/ structure. Is
there a way to get Tomcat to respond to port 80 requests or some other
mechanism for removing the port number from appearing to users???
Thanks,
Brian
--------------------
Brian Dixon
Regenstrief Institute, Inc.
Indiana University Medical Center
1050 Wishard Blvd.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 630-8822
Web: www.regenstrief.org
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Human creativity multiplied by the computing power of super-recursive
devices and algorithms will cause the real revolution in information
technology and in our lives." - Mark Burgin

Hello Brian, the port 80 that apache uses is a tcp socket that apache "listens" to. the same w/ tomcat. apache has directives to define the ports it "listens" to for different schemes: (http, https). typically, apache does not display port "80" in the url because apache is a web or http static content server so the default port 80 is not required to be displayed. and, port 80 is a so-called priviledged port on 'nix systems (< 1023). when apache fires up it does so as "root" or the super-user allowing use of port 80 but forks a new child process for the actual http request/resonse processing. also, when apache executes cgi-bin it can hide some of the url to execute cgi-programs by using apache alias or scriptalias directives. tomcat is not a static http web server but is a dynamic content servlet/jsp server (and other objects) and therefore needs to listen to the non-standard port of: "8080". this port can be redefined to be any non-priviledged port (> 1023). displaying port numbers in the url r not a problem if u restrict who sees the urls. as a suggestion u can authenticate ur users through encryption, user/password logins using ssl or read this about url obfuscation: http://www.n3dst4.com/articles/urlobfus . thanx, david.