What I do is to use the Proxy Feature, I think a lot of others
use a mod_ but Proxy takes 2 lines in your httpd.conf

ProxyPass /equiv        http://insider:8080/equiv
ProxyPassReverse /equiv http://insider:8080/equiv

replace insider with the host that has your tomcat.
If it's on the same host, localhost will work.

xxx.mydomain.org/equiv is mapped internally to the tomcat (8080) on localhost