>From the file "RUNNING.txt" included with Tomcat and available on the
jakarta.apache.org site as well:

2) An "out of environment space" error when running the batch files in
   Win9X/ME-based operating systems.

   Right-click on the STARTUP.BAT and SHUTDOWN.BAT files.  Click on
   "Properties" then on the "Memory" tab.  For the "Initial environment"
field,
   enter in something like 4096.

   After you click apply, Windows will create shortcuts in the directory
with
   which you can use to start and stop the container.

Granted, it doesn't mention NT specifically, but it is worth a try, and I
would imagine that a simple search on Google would give you the answer.

John