Thanks for the reply.

I have started redeploying manually, as you suggested.  This seems to be
working very well so far.  A bit long winded but at least nothing has gone
wrong.  Just incase it is of any use and may shine some light on the
original problem the details of the machine and set up with web.xml are
shown below.

Thanks again for you help.

Regards

Simon

Machine:  1G Pentium (Standard off the shelf job)
OS:  MS Windows 2000
Java:  Sun j2sdk1.4.0_02
Tomcat:  4.1.12

web.xml  (This is the one for my application.  If you ment another just ask
and ye shall receive)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>