* Nikola Milutinovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [1238 08:38]:

> Just to clarify things a bit, before I ask for a new feature in Tomcat.
> Most "security conciencious" servers on UNIX (like BIND 9) use this
> sequence:
>
> 1. Bind to TCP ports
> 2. Load all dynamic modules, libraries (usually done by the loader)
> 3. chroot()
> 4. setuid()

Yes, this looks like a UNIX specific thing, but what does this gain you?
All it protects you from is file access, an unprivileged user does the
same without the hassle of chrooting a JVM. The network is still
vulnerable to abuse.

(following is a general comment and not directed at Nikola personally)

Just run tomcat as a normal user and port-forward. Read Proxy Support HOWTO
and treat the forwarded port as a proxy server. Job done. Get on with
your life.

This discussion has gone on for over a week now.  I seem to remember
there are one or two other lists for Linux system administration on the
Net so can we please pack this thread in? :)

(PS: If you insist on normal users binding to port 80, google for
'privileges' and read some white papers. The BSDs have done a lot of work
in this area.)