In my experience, the apxs in /usr/sbin is the wrong one to use.  Can you
contact the person who installed your Apache?  Apxs should be there.

I've never had a problem building the connectors using
--with-apxs=/some/path/to/apache/bin/apxs for configure.  Then again, I
build my Apache from source.

John