 In this way, you can remove runtime compilation, and then see if the problem is with
your application or javac.

saurabh

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/17/02 06:15AM >>>
Thanks Torsten,

I'll try those settings. I was using the web.xml settings for tomcat 4.0.x
because it was the only documentation I could find.  We have thousands of
jsp pages that are getting compiled as they are accessed.  We just upgraded
to tomcat 4.1.17 from 3.2.4 so we have to recompile all our pages.

Brandon

-----Original Message-----
From: Torsten Fohrer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 6:13 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: javac Memory Leak: STATUS request

one question?

your tomcat does run more than a day, so i assume that he is a production
system.

memory leak in javac is only affected, if you compile a jsp page.
so?
how many times, you change your jsp pages?
if you don't change them, and memory usage increase.
it is possible a memory leak in your application.

here a simply howto to use jikes.

1. Install jikes
2. Changing conf/web.xml to following:
  <!-- If you wish to use Jikes to compile JSP
       -->
  <!--   Set the init parameter "compiler" to "jikes".
        -->
  <!--   the property "-Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true" when starting
cat    --
  <!--   by adding the above to your CATALINA_OPTS environment
iable.    --
  <!--   If you get an error reporting that jikes can't use UTF8
encoding, -->
  <!--   try setting the init parameter "javaEncoding" to
O-8859-1".    -->

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>compiler</param-name>
            <param-value>jikes</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
            <param-value>WARNING</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>
3. Define  build.compiler as above noted
4. Setting a env variable named BOOTCLASSPATH to jre/lib/rt.jar

cu Torsten fohrer