Hi Jerry.

I'm pretty sure that your problem is that you have a comment inside another
comment.  (See the section of your server.xml where you have the WarpConnector
commented out).

That should fix your parsing exception.

Regards,
Pete.

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 15:31:30 -0800
Jerry Ford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am not able to build mod_jk from source, because the configure script
> breaks on ltconfg, as noted in a previous e-mail.
>
> So I took a compiled binary from a link on John Turner's how-to page and
> installed that. His link says its for tomcat 4.0, and I'm using 4.1.12,
> but John said previously that version numbers shouldn't matter.
>
> Without mod_jk in the mix, I have Apache 1.3.27 running, and Tomcat
> 4.1.12 running, and both work. Apache answers to localhost, Tomcat
> answers to localhost:8080, and servlets and JSPs work fine.  I have also
> had tyhe two connected with mod_webapp.so and everything works fine.
>
> But when I put mod_jk into place and edit my server.xml file as
> instructed on John's howto page, Tomcat won't start.  The Tomcat
> examples index pages do get displayed by Apache when I go to
> http://localhost/examples/servlets and ../jsp; I can even get my own
> HelloWorld html page in the Tomcat webapss directory  to display. But
> the servlets themselves don't work, because Tomcat is not running.  When
> I try to start Tomcat, I get the following error in catalina.out:
>
> SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 52 column -1: Next character must be
> ">" terminating comment .
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Next character must be ">" terminating
> comment .
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.fatal(Parser2.java:3182)
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.fatal(Parser2.java:3176)
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.nextChar(Parser2.java:3098)
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeComment(Parser2.java:910)
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.content(Parser2.java:1788)
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1507)
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Parser2.java:500)
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Parser2.java:305)
>        at
> org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(XMLReaderImpl.java:442)
>        at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1495)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:449)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
>        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>        at
>
>        at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.
> java:25)
>
>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
>
> I'm pretty sure there is no syntax error in my server.xml file; and I
> have not touched the global web.xml.
>
> But here's my server.xml file, in case anyone cares to look.
>
> <Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">
>
>   <!-- the following line added per www.johnturner.com/howto for mod_jk;
>   jf/21dec2002 --><Listener
>   className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig"/>
>
>   <!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
>   <Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">

> [...]

Peter Davison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you for observing all safety precautions.