Thanks for your help.

As you probably realised, the JDK version from HP is actually 1.1.8.07.

I have now downloaded Tomcat 3.3.1. As root user, I do not get any errors
when I run startup.sh (but I cannot connect), but get the following error
when I run shutdown.sh:

# ./shutdown.sh
Using classpath: ./../lib/tomcat.jar
Using JAVA_HOME: /opt/java
Using TOMCAT_HOME: /u01/jc_keep/jakarta-tomcat-3.3.1
Jdk11Compat: Installing jar protocol handler
Guessed home=/u01/jc_keep/jakarta-tomcat-3.3.1/lib
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.tomcat.startup.StopTomca
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.tomcat.startup.StopTomcat
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.compat.SimpleClassLoader.loadClass(SimpleClass
Loader.java:274)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Main.execute(Main.java:300)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Main.main(Main.java:140)

Is this a config problem or version problem?

Once again any help will be much appreciated.

John Clark