> I cannot imagine how that would work in any app
> server. A Java bean is it's own class that can
> be used by ...

It works just fine in other JSP engines, e.g., GNUJSP.  The example was just
a self-contained example for introducing bean tags, and the specific use is
limited to form handling where the bean is intended to have a 1:1
relationship with the HTML form.  The documentation mentions that it is a
limited application (you *must* use page scope because the bean cannot be
used outside of that page, and any other scope would lead to classloader
problems).

        --- Noel