From: Mike Roest [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 1:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Question about context-param

Hi all,
	I'm trying to initialize a few parameters from my web.xml to be
available to my context.

I'm just wondering when they become available.  As I'm attempting to
access them during my Context constructor and I'm getting to following
exception trace.

(This call was just trying to get the names not actually access the
values but trying to access the values give similar results)

java.lang.NullPointerException
at
javax.servlet.GenericServlet.getInitParameterNames(GenericServlet.java:
167)

at polaris.servlet.PolarisContext.<init>(PolarisContext.java:54)
Method)

at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructor
Acce

ssorImpl.java:39)
at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingCon
stru

ctorAccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.

java:902)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:821)

at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.
java

:3420)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3

608)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)

at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347

)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:4

97)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:218

9)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
at

java:39)
at

sorImpl.java:25)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

The only thing I can think of is that the context-param isn't
accessable

until after the context constructor is finished. Which makes it not
very helpfull for me.

If anyone has another way of doing this without putting it into a
properties file I'm interested.

(The whole point of this is we're trying to migrate our properties to
DB

tables and need to give the app the DB user and password)

Thanks