Jacob Kjome wrote:

Just make sure to check for the absolutePath string being null because it will be in the case where you serve the app directly out of a .war file, which is why you shouldn't use File IO unless you absolutely have to. There are plenty of other ways to read files in a servlet app or a generic Java app which doesn't require File IO. Also, if you say "well, I need this so I can write files within my webapp directory", they I would have to say that you've already made your app highly non-portable.
Jacob,

Just to make sure I have this right: the only time that a webapp is allowed to write files in a portable fashion is in the temporary directory provided by the ServletContext?

Erik