Ah, I get it: "threads that are currently running in the service method" =
requests that are currently being handled. Of course. The container lets
those terminate (or timeout), then calls destroy(). If I've still got some
threads of my own working away, I'd better deal with them somehow in
destroy(), 'cause when it exits everything goes away.

Mark