I would be happy to make any modifications that would be required.  I've spent a bit
of time looking around at the source already, but I'm not sure what the best approach
would be.  It would be nice if it could be done in a "plugin" kind of way, but after
looking around a bit, it seems that the concept of a single physical directory as a
docbase is pretty ingrained (comments?).

So far, I've looked at the following:

1. Writing a new catalina Context implementation
2. Writing a new jndi DirContext implementation, that would be configurable to take
multiple directories

Of those two, I think #2 makes the most sense, but I have doubts as to whether it
would solve the problem.  What I'm afraid of is that the changes required are peppered
throughout the Tomcat codebase.  Any pointers that you could give me to get me started
in the right direction initially would be hugely appreciated.

The only reason that I'm spending so much energy on this is that for very large web
applications that are not structured as a webapp, which I think is rather common, it
would be a HUGE aid in debugging to be able to pull something like this off.  The
code/compile/debug cycle gets a bit cumbersome when one is constantly redeploying
large apps.  I think for deployment the spec works just fine.

Thanks again for your help, and all of your excellent work.

Dave Keyes