Did someone say Booch utility?

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-04-1999/jw-04-toolbox.html

see page 2. Actually, this entire set of articles on threading is excellent.

Felipe Schnack wrote:
  These days I was thinking
  It's not so uncommon to have uses for singleton classes in our
everyday lives. Normally we do that implementing a class that have its
constructor as private, so no one can instantiate it, and a
getInstance() method or something like it. We wouldn't have the same
kind of behavior if we simply declare all class methods/fields as
static?