Tomcat Users:

First, the setup:
        Windows 2000 Server
        Apache 2.0.44
        Tomcat 4.1.18

Now, the problem:
        I know that there is no supported method for Apache2 on Windows to
use SSL (right?). However, I would still like to stick with Apache for
non-Servlet/JSP requests for as much as possible. This is what I was
thinking:

If there is a way to use Tomcat to act as a standalone only for SSL
requests (in other words, bypass Apache completely if the request is sent
to an SSL port), that would enable me to use Apache for non-SSL,
non-Servlet/jsp requests, and use Tomcat to handle the rest.

I tried setting this up (I have a keystore, and followed the instructions
in the respective
flashguide: http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/tomcat-ssl-4-win32.xml
) but there is nothing listening for SSL, and I get this error in the log:

in stderr.log:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Can't find any SSL implementation
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SSLImplementation.getInstance(SSLImplementation.java:97)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SSLImplementation.getInstance(SSLImplementation.java:103)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.checkSocketFactory(Http11Protocol.java:450)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.init(Http11Protocol.java:133)
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.initialize(CoyoteConnector.java:1032)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:579)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:2245)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.load(CatalinaService.java:236)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.load(CatalinaService.java:258)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.init(BootstrapService.java:231)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:297)
[ERROR] Http11Protocol - -Error initializing socket factory
<java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Can't find any SSL implementation>

in stdout:
Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization
failed: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Can't find any SSL
implementation
LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization
failed: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Can't find any SSL
implementation
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.initialize(CoyoteConnector.java:1034)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:579)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:2245)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.load(CatalinaService.java:236)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.load(CatalinaService.java:258)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.init(BootstrapService.java:231)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:297)

Here is the relavent portion of server.xml:
                enableLookups="true"
                acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
                useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true">
      <Factory
className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
                clientAuth="false" protocol="TLS"
                keystoreFile="keystorepath"
                keystorePass="password" />
    </Connector>

(where keystorepath and password are verified to both be correct)

So, my questions:
        1. What is wrong?
        2. Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. And have a happy
valentines day, for those of you who celebrate it.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com