Monitoring the process table with ps doesn't tell you if your application is
available.  It just tells you if the OS thinks your application (Tomcat) is
running.

To remotely monitor/test a web application, your monitor application must
make a full HTTP/HTTPS request and check the content returned as the
response for an indicator that all is well.  Anything else is false
security.

John