John,

where is your reply ?

how to get apache-tomcat virtual host work? is an easy
question as long as you are using Tomcat 3.2.3 or Tomcat 3.3.1.

Although I'm working very successfully with virtual hosts
and Tomcat 3.2.3 + 3.3.1 I was up to now unable to get virtual
hosts running with Tomcat 4.

Only the default virtual host is running. It doesn't matter
which virtual host I'm using.

I'm not alone and still working on it.

--Dave

Is this a glitch?  Did my first reply to this post get lost?

John

www.host2.com
> [...]
> *************
>   <Host name="host2.com" debug="0" appBase="/home/www/zhujp98"
>            unpackWARs="true">
>
>            <Listener
>               className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig"
>                         append="true"  />
>
>         <!-- Normally, users must authenticate themselves to
> each web app
>              individually.  Uncomment the following entry if you
would
>           like
>              a user to be authenticated the first time they
> encounter a
>              resource protected by a security constraint, and
> then have
>                that
>              user identity maintained across *all* web applications
>              contained
>              in this virtual host. -->
>         <!--
>         <Valve
> className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"
>                    debug="0"/>
>         -->
>
>         <!-- Access log processes all requests for this
> virtual host.  By
>              default, log files are created in the "logs" directory
>              relative to
>              $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can specify a
different
>              directory with the "directory" attribute.
> Specify either a
>              relative
>              (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired
>               directory.
>         -->
>         <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
>                  directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log."
>                  suffix=".txt"
>                  pattern="common"/>
>
>         <!-- Logger shared by all Contexts related to this
> virtual host.
>             By
>              default (when using FileLogger), log files are
> created in the
>               "logs"
>              directory relative to $CATALINA_HOME.  If you
> wish, you can
>               specify
>              a different directory with the "directory" attribute.
>              Specify either a
>              relative (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to
> the desired
>              directory.-->
>         <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>                  directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log."
> suffix=".txt"
>                 timestamp="true"/>
>
>         <!-- Define properties for each web application.  This is
only
>            needed
>              if you want to set non-default properties, or have web
>              application
>              document roots in places other than the virtual host's
>              appBase
>              directory.  -->
>
>         <!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
>         <!--
>           <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>

http://www.host2.com:8080/servlets

but fails when i use http://www.host2.com/servlets

it seems that apache did not connect to tomcat in terms of
www.host2.com

how can i fix this problem?
Thanks

j.p