OK, then the Listener directives you have in server.xml are not correct.

Here is how mod_jk.conf looks, from a completely default Tomcat install
(localhost is the only virtual host in this case), with the addition of the
two Listener elements in server.xml:

http://www.johnturner.com/howto/mod_jk_conf.html

If yours doesn't look like that, I would review server.xml and verify that
my Listener directives/elements are positioned correctly and are complete,
as described in the "Final Configuration" section of my RH 7.x HOWTO:

http://www.johnturner.com/howto/rh72-howto.html

John