From: Erik Price [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 2:02 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat on WinXP

Denise Mangano wrote:

> I have my JAVA_HOME set to point to my c:\jdk1.4.1\bin

No, that is not the "home" of your JDK installation.  The "home" is the
"main" directory -- c:\jdk1.4.1 -- so change JAVA_HOME so that it points
to this directory.

> and export JAVA_HOME
> in my PATH variable.

If you are running Windows, why do you use "export"?  AFAIK that's a
bash shell construct (unless you're running Cygwin to get the bash shell
running on Windows, in which case none of what I'm about to say
applies).  The PATH environment variable simply contains a list of
directories that your shell should check for executables (programs that
often end in .exe).  Because quite a few of the tools used by Java
programmers are executables in the "bin" directory of the JAVA_HOME
location, it is often recommended that developers add this directory to
their PATH.  Assuming that said developer has already defined a
JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to their JDK's "home" directory
(in your case this is c:\jdk1.4.1), all you need to do is make sure that
the PATH environment variable contains one of the following:

   %JAVA_HOME%\bin  -- for non-Cygwin Windows systems
   $JAVA_HOME/bin   -- for unix/linux-based systems (such as Cygwin on
                       Win32)

It's like taking a shortcut instead of simply using the full path:

   c:\j2sdk1.4.1\bin -- for non-Cygwin Windows systems
   /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1/bin -- for unix/linux-based systems

Of course, it really all depends on where you installed the JDK in the
first place, not every Unix system has it in /usr/local and not every
Wintel box has it in c:\.

> I checked the error logs, and for some reason it is
> saying "unable to find java compiler".

This suggests that the "javac" compiler is not being found in any of the
directories in your PATH environment variable.  Make sure that your PATH
environment variable contains the "bin" directory of your JAVA_HOME.

   I created a simple test.java in my
> G:\tomcat directory and tried to compile from the command prompt.  I
receive
> no error messages but the file does not compile.  (When I performed the
same
> test on my C:\ drive it compiled fine).
>
> Can someone please let me know if having the JDK on a separate partition
> could be causing my problem? If so then I would imagine I have to install
> the JDK on the same partition - but would this cause conflicts with the
JDK
> I have installed on the C:\ drive.

I don't think the partition on which the JDK is installed really
matters.  What's important is that your environment variable JAVA_HOME
points to the location of the JDK so that tools expecting to use the JDK
know where to find it, and that the "java", "jar", and "javac" tools are
in one of the directories on your PATH.  Adjust your PATH environment
variable to make sure.

Erik