You can set up virtual hosts with tomcat.

You should set up another HTTP server  (such as apache, IIS) if you want to use
apaches capabilities and performance.
Obviously having tomcat delivering static documents, such as images and .html can be a
waste of resource.

Performance is the biggest single reason to intergrate with apache. This dependes on
the type of application you are using, and how big part of it is static content rather
than dynamic content such as servlets/jsp.

Then of course know-how of the people that will be running the system long term is
very often a reason enough to deploy with either apache or IIS, as they don't
neccesarily know how to configure tomcats security, but know how to do it in
IIS/apache.

Hope it helps,

-reynir