Assure you have only one child process.
The inprocess won't work for prefork, and perchild mpm's.
It can work with worker mpm if you config Apache to use the single child
process.

The problem is that the TC is started for every child and only one can
succeed to start (first).
So that gives you those weird responses.

MT.