Yes, but you still have MaxClients/ThreadsPerChild child processes,
meaning 6.

> Every second 3-5 of these messages spam the log,
> continuously.  Tomcat
> is never loaded.

Your child JVM segfaults and makes apache to recycle the affected child.
See if you've correctly set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (needs to find the
libapr, etc...).
Best way to check your config is to start the Apache in debug mode
(single process).
If you'll able to use the jk2 in that mode start playing with the
config.
Set the ThreadsPerChild to be equal to MaxClients, and then set the
ServerLimit to 1.

MT.