Thanks Brian, that got me a bit closer. I became root user
and ran
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4 start
Starting tomcat4:                                          [  OK  ]

as you explained. When I went to check it out with my browser
at http://localhost:8080

got connection refused.

HTTP Status 500 - No Context configured to process this request

Note: I have previously installed and used tomcat 4.0 from binary (not rpm) and was able to make progress. I wanted to go to 4.1 and use rpm. But it seems that documentation is nonexistent. Or am I missing something?

brian janaszek wrote:

I downloaded tomcat4-4.1.24-full.2jpp.noarch.rpm and installed.
I do not find startup.sh anywhere in the installation. Has the way
to start completely changed and there is no documentation telling
us how to run it?

I'm assuming this is on linux? Check your /etc/rc.d/init.d directory for tomcat4. If it's there, you should just run:

bash$ /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4 start

The RPM should have also installed in the startup scripts in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin.