Thanks Brian, that got me a bit closer. I became root user
and ran
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat4 start
Starting tomcat4:                                          [  OK  ]

as you explained. When I went to check it out with my browser
at http://localhost:8080

got connection refused.

HTTP Status 500 - No Context configured to process this request

Obviously, Tomcat is up and running...you'll need to make some changes to your server.xml and web.xml files.

Note: I have previously installed and used tomcat 4.0 from binary (not rpm) and was able to make progress. I wanted to go to 4.1 and use rpm. But it seems that documentation is nonexistent. Or am I missing something?

Online docs are here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/index.html

It's been awhile since I installed 4.1 via RPM, but I did have to tweak a couple things to get the default web app up and running.